Garage fire sends two Oak Harbor residents to hospital

The fire chief said it was likely caused by an overheated electrical circuit on an extension cord.

Two Oak Harbor residents were transported to the hospital for treatment of possible smoke inhalation after a garage was destroyed by fire Monday evening, according to the Oak Harbor Fire Department.

Fire Chief Ray Merrill said the residents of the Southwest Waterside Court home were alerted to the fire in the attached garage by fire alarms in the house.

After seeing the flames, the residents closed the door to the garage and called 911, Merrill said.

The fire was reported at 6:09 p.m. Firefighters arrived eight minutes later to find the garage fully engulfed in flames, the fire department reported. The conflagration was controlled and extinguished by the crews from Oak Harbor Fire Department and the Navy Fire Department.

The garage was a total loss, but crews were largely able to stop the fire before it spread to the house.

“For the most part, the house was saved and the belongings in the house were saved,” Merrill said.

Along with the garage, three motorcycles were destroyed, Merrill said.

The chief said the fire was likely caused by an overheated electrical circuit on an extension cord.

Merrill said the residents’ action in closing the door to the garage was also important in preventing the fire from spreading. By the International Fire Code, doors between a garage and house must provide protection from fire.

“The garage-house door was closed during this fire and prevented the fire from spreading to the living quarters; reducing potential damage and protecting many of the family’s belongings,” the fire department said in a press release.

In addition, the fire department stressed the importance of fire alarms.

“Smoke is a poison that can kill you,” a fire department release states. “Without working smoke alarms, you may not wake up from the smoke. It can kill you while you are asleep. Home fires at night or when people are sleeping are the most dangerous. Working smoke alarms will alert you if there is a fire and will give you more time.”

Learn more about smoke alarms and where to place them in your home at www.usfa.fema.gov

More in News

Parks, Rec receives OK for Trustland Trails

South Whidbey Parks and Recreation District is moving ahead with proposed trails… Continue reading

Woman injured in accidental shooting files lawsuit

The woman needed both legs amputated above the knee and has filed a lawsuit for damages.

Woman charged with murder in fatal stabbing

A woman who stabbed her partner during a Nov. 13 power outage has been officially accused of murder.

web
Council discussion about smart meters sparks disagreements

One citizen was skeptical of Puget Sound Energy’s smart meters.

Photo by Kira Erickson/South Whidbey Record
Sarah Santosa and her two-year-old daughter, Gwendolyn, play with a miniature chocolate fondue pot that is part of the miniature storefront for Sweet Mona’s Chocolates in Langley. The little chocolate shop is the third model in a series built by Santosa for Langley businesses.
Going big time with her miniature skills

A Langley woman will showcase her miniature achitecture skills on a Christmas-themed TV show.

Photo by Emily Gilbert/Whidbey News-Times
North Whidbey Help House has already received 200 requests for Thanksgiving meal baskets this year.
With pandemic leading to Thanksgiving cancellations, those in need have options

Thanksgiving dinners may be canceled for many this year because of the… Continue reading

Photo by Ron Newberry
Regenerative agriculture: A new, healthier way to farm

By Ron Newberry for the South Whidbey Record Cory Fakkema gets up… Continue reading

Woman held on $500K bail for Friday the 13th fatal stabbing

A 38-year-old woman is accused of stabbing her fiance multiple times with… Continue reading

As COVID cases rise, businesses respond to new state restrictions

As COVID-19 case numbers continue to increase sharply across the county and… Continue reading

Most Read