Multiple fire agencies responded to a mobile home in Oak Harbor Sunday night. Photo by Bryan Fick/WestCoast Fire Media

Multiple fire agencies responded to a mobile home in Oak Harbor Sunday night. Photo by Bryan Fick/WestCoast Fire Media

Drain cleaner ignites fire that decimates Oak Harbor home

No one was injured by the flames although one of the occupants lost three rats.

Two people lost their Oak Harbor home after a mix of household cleaning supplies ignited a chemical fire Sunday night.

Oak Harbor Fire Chief Ray Merrill said firefighters from Oak Harbor Fire Department, North Whidbey Fire and Rescue and the Navy responded at 6:45 p.m. to a mobile home on fire at Parkwood Manor on Northwest Crosby Avenue.

They put out the flames in 30 minutes, but the home was a total loss.

“They burn very intensely, and there were a lot of hidden fires that we had to get to because of the construction of the mobile home,” Merrill said.

He said firefighters believe the fire began under the kitchen sink when one of the occupants mixed two kinds of drain cleaner. It set off a chemical reaction that sparked the fire.

“Be careful about mixing chemicals,” Merrill said. “They can react violently.”

Michelle Mann said she had lived at the home for the last two years. She said she is staying with her daughter for the moment. Although no one was injured, Mann said she lost her three rats.

A friend salvaged her cell phone, which Mann said survived only because of its case, as well as a memorial box of her mother’s.

“The outside is damaged but the inside is untouched,” she said.

The Red Cross has been helping Mann and her roommate. Mann said she did not know if there was a fundraiser set up yet, although some people had reached out through social media. But she hoped her daughter would help her with one.

The National Capital Poison Control Center advises people never to mix household cleaning products and to read the safety instructions to prevent poisoning or injury.

More in News

Little Oaks Preschool (Karina Andrew/Whidbey News-Times)
Cost, accessibility of child care raises concerns on Whidbey

The high cost and sparse availability of child care are serious public health challenges on Whidbey.

County commissioners rescind COVID bonuses

Money will likely still be coming to county employees, just in a different form.

Murderer of deputies continues appeals pro se

A man who killed two deputies 34 years ago is still trying to appeal his murder convictions.

Former county commissioner diagnosed with case of breakthrough COVID-19

Helen Price Johnson is crediting the vaccine for how mild her case has been.

Brian Read
Eviction lawyer booked into jail weeks after his disbarment

Brian Read, 45, of Freeland, pleaded guilty Monday to vehicular assault while under the influence.

Traffic, utility rate studies planned for city of Langley

Langley will participate in studies on speeding on Sixth Street and affordability of utility rates.

Langley City Council discusses pilot dog park

In Monday’s meeting, the idea to do a pilot project for a dog park fetched the council’s attention.

Maureen Greene displays a sign and distributes informational papers opposing the Black Lives Matter banner at the June 11 protest. (Photo by Karina Andrew/Whidbey News-Times)
School board member threatens to sue students

Damian Greene is threatening legal action against students for an online post he claims is libelous.

Up Up Up Inc., a traveling circus on a flatbed truck stage with a crane, performs Wednesday in Langley and Friday in Everett on its monthlong Pacific Northwest tour. Seen here at a show on Guemes Island. (Submitted photo)
Circus coming to Whidbey, then Everett, on a 30-foot crane

Theatrics include the world’s largest wedgie, a flying piano, human ceiling fan and a hair hang act.

Most Read